FriedEgg

FriedEgg

The Hound of the Baskervilles -  Arthur Conan Doyle I wasn't expecting to read any more Sherlock Holmes stories so soon after finishing The Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes but I stumbled upon this, second hand, on a charity book stall. I'm glad I did though because it was very good.

As well as this being one of his more well known stories, I had a particular interest living so near to north Dartmoor where most of the events in this novel take place. Although I suppose it was necessary to the story to emphasise the bleak and brooding nature of the moor, it was somewhat at odds with my feelings about it when I am abroad on it's rugged slopes. And I suppose it reflects the age in which it was written, in which the wilderness was still seen as something to be conquered and tamed by man, not a delicate and endangered thing of beauty as we see it now.

The story itself definitely stood out as one of the better Sherlock Holmes mysteries I have read. I tend to prefer it when he's up against more worthy adversaries and the supernatural aspect also appealed to me strongly. I'm not sure if I'll read any more of these stories but, if not, it is good to end on a high.