FriedEgg

FriedEgg

The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction, Volume Three - George Mann, Jack Skillingstead, Jennifer Pelland, Daniel Abraham, Ian Watson, Tim Akers, Ken MacLeod, Alastair Reynolds, Stephen Baxter, John Meaney, Paul Di Filippo, Ian Whates, Scott Edelman, Paul Cornell, Adam Roberts This anthology turned out to be everything I hoped it would be; an excellent sampling of up-to-the-minute science fiction. Every story included was first published in this volume (2009).

None of the authors included have I read before, including some big names like Alastair Reynolds, Stephen Baxter, Ian watson and Ken Mcleod. This all goes to show how out of touch I am when it comes to current SF. Included among these big names were some newer, lesser known authors but often just as good reads.

I was also pleased to become aquainted with some of the wide ranging and varied themes modern SF authors explore. Seems like the field is alive and well if this collection is anything to go by.

The overall standard was suprisingly high. No complete duffers in this collection. Sure, some I preferred more than others but all were interesting and entertaining in their own way. Next I want to read a few novels by my favourite authors I've read here to see what else they can do.