FriedEgg

FriedEgg

Beauty - Sheri S. Tepper A classic work of fantasy well deserving of it's place in the Fantasy Masterworks series.

I have never read anything by this author before and was pleasantly suprised by her delightful prose and the vastness of her imagination. This is not conventional fantasy quest story but follows in the fantasy tradition of railing against modern times and the direction that mankind seems to be headed in.

Tepper obviously has very clear ideas about what she thinks is wrong with society and which beliefs system are responsible. This come across a bit too didactically in the text for my liking and I would have preferred a less heavy handed, more ambiguous approach. I didn't always agree with everything she said but I could understand the point she was trying to make and, for me, it didn't get in the way of the story. Although, I can see how it might for some.

More interesting for me was the the story of the Beauty's life and the events that shape her. She visits different time periods in our history (and future), many different places (both real and imaginary) and becomes embroiled in a variety of well known fairy tales.

I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading some more of her work shortly.