FriedEgg

FriedEgg

Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist This is another one of those books I've come to that's been preceded by a fair degree of hype (no doubt in part induced by it's movie adaptation) and largely I would say this book didn't disappoint.

These days it must be quite hard to write a vampire story that will stand out from the rest, that will bring something different to the genre. I don't know whether it is the urban Swedish setting, the rationalistic (as opposed to supernatural) notion of vampirism, or just the story itself that sets it apart but somehow it just works.

My middling rating reflects my personal taste more than an objective judgement on the book's qualities. The story is pretty gory in places, deeply visceral and rooted in gritty realism. I don't know if the author has been influenced by the likes of Clive Barker but this book is definitely in the same vein. It's long, padded out with many points of views, characters who's stories loosely interact around the story of the main protagonists. All well done if that's the kind of thing you like.

It was an engrossing read and I'm glad I read it but I doubt I will seek out any of the author's other work.