FriedEgg

FriedEgg

Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said - Philip K. Dick Last book I'm going to finish this year so why not something by the master of shifting perceptions and realities? And if that's what you're looking for, you wont be disappointed with this book.

I don't know if this is one of those stories Dick just sat down and wrote without plan or direction but it certainly felt like it. The story meanders along often taking strange new directions seemingly for no more reason than the author's whim. It's an approach that feels quite familiar now, having read quite a few of his novels, and is always enjoyable, leaving the reader with a sense that anything can happen. You never know where the story's going to go.

Dick paints quite an oppressive vision of a near future dystopian police state that America has become. Being able to prove your identity is the key to any degree of freedom in this society and failing to do so will quickly land you up in a forced labour camp. The central premise of a superstar singer, Jason Taverner, suddenly waking up in a seedy hotel room, with no identity papers and no one remembers who he is is quite interesting, but as the narrative progressed I found myself failing to engage with the characters and story as much as I felt I should have.

A good novel although not one of his best.