FriedEgg

FriedEgg

Metamorphosis and Other Stories - Franz Kafka In reading this I have strayed quite far outside of my usual comfort zone. But what attracted me to Kafka is that he apparently wrote about the horror of the human condition and that his stories were are often quite surreal and weird. I found all this to be quite true.

It would seem that his stories are often metaphorically alluding to something else but I haven't felt compelled to dwell on that aspect too deeply, enjoying the stories for their strangeness and humour, their full meaning often alluding me.

I've no idea how he wrote his stories but some of them almost feel stream of consciousness style. The narrator will pursue one thought after another in a seemingly directionless fashion, taking unexpected turns and usually ending inconclusively.

I have enjoyed most of the stories here to greater or lesser degrees but none have particularly bowled be over in amazement. "The Stoker" was great as well as "The Penal Colony" but the story that came closest to blowing me away was "A Little Woman", a wonderful tale of obsession.

This book collects all the stories published during his lifetime and there's apparently another companion book released by Penguin that collects the others that were published posthumously. I may well pick it up one day.