FriedEgg

FriedEgg

Tales Of Supernatural Terror - Guy de Maupassant An impressive collection of haunting tales from an author probably best known for his work outside of the genre.

These stories explore the fine line between psychological and supernatural horror with the reader left, in most cases, to ponder the question of whether the protagonists have experienced genuine supernatural phenomena or are merely going insane. The best example of this can be seen in "The Horla", probably his most well-known contribution to the genre.

There were many other great tales, the sublime "On the River", the tragic "The Drowned Man", the anguish in "The Dead Girl" and the terrifying "The Wolf". Many of the stories were concerned with the nature of true fear. Often featured a narrative within a narrative as a character relayed some deeply strange and fearful experience they had had. Most of the stories are very short and the prose is spare allowing the reader to breeze through the book in no time.

Not all of the stories I found effective but there is enough quality here for fans of classic horror to enjoy although there are more extensive collections of his contributions to the genre around for the completists out there. Now I just need to perfect my French and read these in their original language for the ultimate Maupassant experience.