FriedEgg

FriedEgg

The Island of Dr. Moreau - H.G. Wells, Patrick Parrinder, Steve Maclean, Margaret Atwood What Wells did in just over a hundred pages most modern authors would have taken at least five times as many pages to do. Ok, perhaps then the characters could have been developed a little more thoroughly but I feel that this book has gained more than it's lost for it's brevity.

For me the book is exploring the demarkation between humanity and the animal kingdom, what makes us different and whether it can be changed. The protagonist is set amongst what he believes at first are beastial humans but turn out to be humanlike beasts. His attitude towards them shifts back and forth between disgust and revulsion to acceptance and even affection. He sympathises with their lot under the tyranny of Dr. Moreau but immediately acts to maintain it the moment it is lifted. Prolonged exposure to their beastial company leads to a redefining of the character's sense of normality with humanity seeming more strange. And when the protagonists finally does return to his home, he cannot help but see the beast inside each and every human waiting to break out and so seeks isolation.

There are probably many layers to this story beneath the surface adventure if one is prepared to look for them. My first book by this author was a pleasant experience and I shall definitely be reading more.