FriedEgg

FriedEgg

The Hunger Games  - Suzanne  Collins When I started reading this, I wondered is it really a "Young Adult" novel? Or do people simply call it that because the protagonist is a teenager? But as the story unfolded, it became clear to me that it was truly aimed at young adults because the protagonist was repeatedly spared the necessity of making the really tough decisions and sacrifices that one might have in her situation. Events and circumstances always unfolded in such a way that she never had to kill any of the "nice" kids, only the nasty "career tributes", and never in cold blood, only in a desperate act of self defence (or defence of someone she cared about).

Still, it was a page turner and breezy read, with every chapter ending on a cliff hanger, it was hard to put down. An interesting dystopian setting although not a particularly original premise. The ending was decisive in some ways but left a large number of loose ends. Most importantly one is left wondering if anything will ever be done to loosen the grip of the oppressive regime that so ruthlessly holds down the districts in virtual slavery in order to maintain high living standards at the capitol, not to mention forces some of their children each year to fight to the death for their amusement.

I don't think I'll read any more books in the trilogy, and just leave it there. An enjoyable although somewhat shallow experience.