FriedEgg

FriedEgg

She (She Trilogy) - H. Rider Haggard An intriguing fantasy, lost world, adventure story although it does explore some important questions such as the importance of beauty and how much we are driven by ascetics.

An interesting point of fact about this novel is it is in the first person POV, but not from that of the heroic, good looking protagonist, but rather from that of his grotesquely ugly, adopted father. He rears his adopted son until, in adulthood, he learns about his family legacy that dates back over two thousand years. They then go on a quest to deepest, darkest Africa to try and find out if there is any truth to the legend and whether "She-who-must-be-obeyed" lives on still with eternal youth, and irresistible beauty.

In some ways it presents men in quite a poor light: I don't know how beautiful and irresistible a woman would have to be for you to fall into her arms, immediately forgetting the fact that she just murdered your wife that you apparently were in love with? Although it was somewhat ironic that after she died, he denied himself the chance of immortality, admitting that wouldn't have the patience to wait for a couple of millennia for her return (as she had for him).

There weren't many scenes of action in the book but those there were were extremely well and engagingly written showing that he was a clear forerunner for writers such as [a:Edgar Rice Burroughs|10885|Edgar Rice Burroughs|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1207155710p2/10885.jpg] and [a:Robert E. Howard|66700|Robert E. Howard|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1210954603p2/66700.jpg]. I think I would definitely like to read more of his work, although I'm not sure what...