FriedEgg

FriedEgg

The Nightmare Reader - Volume One

The Nightmare Reader - Peter Haining Another collection of stories put together by Peter Haining of variable quality. This time each of the stories are supposed to be inspired by nightmares experienced by the authors themselves. The nightmares might have been drug induced, arising from psychological disorders or even supernatural encounters. The stories were all written during the 19th or early 20th centuries.

Interestingly there is an introduction by Isaac Asimov (interesting because he's not normally associated with supernatural fiction). Some of the stories I have read before ("Berenice" by Edgar Allan Poe, "A Soldier's Rest" by Arthur Machen, "The Bureau d'Echange de Maux" by Lord Dunsany) and of those I haven't, some fell a bit flat ("The Bold Dragoon" by Washington Irving, "Levana and Our Ladies of Sorrow" by Thomas de Quincey) while others had the desired chilling effect ("The Man in the Reservoir" by C.F. Hoffman, "Haceldama" by Lafcadio Hearn and "The Ensouled Violin" by Madame Blavatsky).

I see there is a second volume of the "Nightmare Reader" and I am curious to see what it's like, maybe I'll track it down.